High Availability Option for HPSS
IBM Global Services - Federal announces the High Availability option for HPSS. HA-HPSS* provides hardware redundancy for HPSS core servers, complementing the ability to configure redundancy in the data movers. The result is a mass storage system that remains on-line, in spite of failures in key hardware components.
|High Availability Features:||Components:|
Automatically recover from:
- Two HPSS core server machines: one primary and one standby.
- Primary computer services requests using "service interface."
- Metadata is mirrored across busses.
- "Keep alive" messages in AIX are exchanged between primary and standby over Ethernet and TTY cable (to prevent isolation).
- "Keep alive" messages in Linux are exchanged between primary and standby over Ethernet and shared disk.
- Network adapter failure causes a standby adapter to assume the IP and hardware address of the failed adapter.
- Failures of disk, disk adapter, and cables are resolved by AIX mirroring over dual busses.
- Primary computer failure results in the standby computer assuming the IP and hardware addresses of the service interface, taking control of the metadata disks, and restarting HPSS.
*HA-HPSS is available from IBM by special bid arrangements.
|2015 HPSS Users Forum - The HPSS User Forum 2015 will be hosted by SciNet in Toronto, Canada from Monday, September 28 through Friday, October 2. For more information.|
|2015 HPSS Training - The next HPSS System Administration course from August 24th - 28th. For more information and registration.|
|2014 HPSS Users Forum - The HPSS User Forum 2014 will be hosted by Rechenzentrum Garching (RZG) in Munich, Germany from Monday, October 27 through Friday, October 31. For more information and registration.|
|HPSS at SC13 - SC13 is the 2013 international conference for high performance computing, networking, storage and analysis. SC13 will be in Denver, Colorado, from November 18th through 21st - Learn More. Come visit the HPSS folks at the IBM booth and schedule an HPSS briefing at the IBM Executive Briefing Center|
|2013 HPSS Users Forum - The 2013 HPSS Users Forum (HUF) will be hosted by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), in Boulder, Colorado. The conference will run from November 4th - 7th. For more information and registration.|
|HPSS @ SEG13 - SEG13 is the 2013 annual meeting for the Society of Exploration Geophysics International Exposition. SEG13 will bring together all of the major companies involved in oil, gas, and mineral exploration, and new areas of civil engineering, environmental and archaeology. The conference will be held at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas, from September 22nd through 25th - Learn More. Come visit the HPSS folks at the IBM booth and schedule an HPSS briefing.|
|2013 HPSS Training - The next HPSS System Administration course from September 23rd - 27th. For more information and registration.|
|NCSA in production with RAIT - A massive 380 petabyte HPSS system was successfully deployed. -- the world's largest automated near-line data repository for open science. Learn more from NCSA, and HPCwire. The new HPSS system went into production using HPSS Redundant Array of Independent Tapes (RAIT) tiers, which is similar to RAID, providing redundancy for a tape stripe. RAIT allows HPSS customers to meet their performance and redundancy requirements without doubling their tape cost. Learn more about RAIT.|
|HPSS VFS for RHEL 6 is available - HPSS Virtual File System (VFS) allows a computer to use the UNIX mount command to mount the HPSS name space, much like NFS is mounted. Learn more about VFS.|