High Availability Option for HPSS
IBM Global Services - Federal announces the High Availability option for HPSS. HA-HPSS* provides hardware redundancy for HPSS core servers, complementing the ability to configure redundancy in the data movers. The result is a mass storage system that remains on-line, in spite of failures in key hardware components.
|High Availability Features:||Components:|
Automatically recover from:
- Two HPSS core server machines: one primary and one standby.
- Primary computer services requests using "service interface."
- Metadata is mirrored across busses.
- "Keep alive" messages in AIX are exchanged between primary and standby over Ethernet and TTY cable (to prevent isolation).
- "Keep alive" messages in Linux are exchanged between primary and standby over Ethernet and shared disk.
- Network adapter failure causes a standby adapter to assume the IP and hardware address of the failed adapter.
- Failures of disk, disk adapter, and cables are resolved by AIX mirroring over dual busses.
- Primary computer failure results in the standby computer assuming the IP and hardware addresses of the service interface, taking control of the metadata disks, and restarting HPSS.
*HA-HPSS is available from IBM by special bid arrangements.
|HPSS @ SC15 - SC15 is the 2015 international conference for high performance computing, networking, storage and analysis. SC15 will be in Austin, Texas, from November 16th through 19th - Learn More. Come visit the HPSS folks at the IBM booth and schedule an HPSS briefing at the IBM Executive Briefing Center|
|Swift On HPSS - OpenStack Swift Object Server implementation enables objects created using the Swift API to be accessed by name in HPSS - /account name/container name/object name. Legacy HPSS files can be accessed using the Swift API. Contact us for more information.|
|2015 HPSS Users Forum - The HPSS User Forum 2015 will be hosted by SciNet in Toronto, Canada from Monday, September 28 through Friday, October 2. For more information.|
|HPSS @ ISC15 - ISC15 is the 2015 International Supercomputing Conference for high performance computing, networking, storage and analysis. ISC15 will be in Frankfurt, Germany, from July 12th through 16th - Learn More. Come visit the HPSS folks at the IBM booth and schedule an HPSS briefing at the IBM Executive Briefing Center|
| 2015 HPSS Training - The next HPSS System Administration course from August 24th - 28th. For more information and registration.
| HPSS @ MSST 2015 - MSST 2015 is the 31st International Conference on Massive Storage Systems and Technology. This year's theme is Media Wars: Disk versus FLASH in the Struggle for Capacity and Performance. Learn More
| NCSA in production with RAIT - A massive 380 petabyte HPSS system was successfully deployed. -- the world’s largest automated near-line data repository for open science. Learn more from NCSA, and HPCwire. The new HPSS system went into production using HPSS Redundant Array of Independent Tapes (RAIT) tiers, which is similar to RAID, providing redundancy for a tape stripe. RAIT allows HPSS customers to meet their performance and redundancy requirements without doubling their tape cost. Learn more about RAIT.